You Are Here: Home » Old Coton » The Shop

shop

The shop: do you know where this was?

12 Comments

1. sara says:

Just on the left of the old post office, according to Peter Burbage

• Peter Walker says:

Hi Sara,
      In the early 1950’s I stopped for a few weeks with a Mr. and Mrs. Burn age in Coton. He was an important person at one of the colleges, and she was a Childerley whose brother worked at the Home Office Store on Madingley Road, and from memory he was also the landlord at the village pub.
      Best regards
      Peter

2. terry Childerley says:

This was Mrs Whitehead’s shop, located just to the right of the village hall.

3. RexWebb says:

The Post master and Mitress my Grand Farther and Mother.
    Harold and his wife Webb.I have a picture of my Father, Percy Webb, ouside the Post Office.in the 1920,s on his AJS with his Friend,s also on an AJS motorcycle.
    Now i only have to get My picti=ure taken at the same spot on my AJS,also a 1924 Model.

4. rex Webb says:

I offtern took Grandads Accumilator for his wirless to “Mr,s Whiteheads Shop” to be charged.We called in on her on our way home from School.

5. RexWebb says:

The Red brich Houses ,”One the Post Office and the other still stand there ,but a New dwelling is on the Shop Site now.

6. George Bentley says:

Definitely remember Mrs Whitehead’s shop
    As children we were allowed to go there to buy sweets (A luxury then) 1950-55.
    Terry Childerly is correct thats where i remeber it being

PS
    Lovely to see the Childerly name here, a long standing Coton name

7. Sue Miller says:

I used to buy Cydrax and Corona fizzy drinks, granulated sugar and other groceries from Mrs Whitehead’s shop in the early 1960s. (She was Peggy Purse’s mother. ) I was always very anxious for her safety when she mounted her ‘sit up and beg’ bicycle to go home, as she was so tiny and it was quite a leap for her to get onto the saddle.

8. I have been building up my family tree. my gt gt. grandfather was born in coton village joseph Ward 1829 and was still living there in 1900’s also my gt grandfather was born there Edward John Ward but maybe have gone by the name john on the census its got they lived at No: 10 coton village could any give me any photos or info. where about in coton this would be and if anyone had heard of the ward family.

9. Mrs Ethel Whitehead was my nan remember it well as a young kid many a character from the village use to pop in quite often,and a could get free sweets.He,He.

10. Hugh cousins says:

Remember old coton well, with mrs Whiteheads shop you could buy many things, including 4 sweets for a penny…must be the year before last